Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Attorney in Palm Desert
Solutions to Unsecured Debt Problems
Chapter 7 bankruptcy, also known as liquidation, is the most common type of bankruptcy for individuals in the United States. Liquidation refers to the assets of the debtor may be taken and liquidated in order to pay off debt from their creditors.
Dischargeable & Non-Dischargeable Debts
If you have unsecured debt and an inability to keep up with your financial obligations, this may be the best option for you. Chapter 7 bankruptcy can give you relief from high interest rate credit cards, medical bills, personal loans, or other types of unsecured debt.
Debts that can be discharged under Chapter 7 include:
- Credit card debts
- Medical bills
- Personal loans
- Other types of unsecured debt
Debts that cannot be discharged under Chapter 7 include:
- Alimony obligations
- Child Support
- Student Loans
- Fines and Penalties violating the law
At J. Doling Law, PC, our Chapter 7 lawyer in Palm Desert have years of experience helping clients file bankruptcy petitions in Riverside, San Bernardino, Los Angeles, and Orange counties. To determine whether this is right option for you or if you need to explore other alternatives contact our Chapter 7 attorneys at J. Doling Law, PC.
See if Chapter 7 is the right option for your financial situation. Call (760) 412-5700 for a free consultation.
Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Process
As the fastest type of bankruptcy, the entire Chapter 7 process can usually be completed in about four months. Although many people mistakenly believe they will “lose everything” in the bankruptcy process, the law provides exemptions to protect equity in certain assets which may allow you to keep your home, car, computers, and other personal belongings. Here is an overview of how the process looks like:
- Collect Documents: The process starts with gathering financial documents and filling out forms before submitting it to court. Our bankruptcy attorneys can help you make sure you have the proper documents and that all the forms for properly filled out.
- Credit counseling: This ensures whether you need to file for bankruptcy or not. This also helps you discover if you can go through a different route other than bankruptcy.
- Filing: If you have consulted with our bankruptcy attorney and determined that Chapter 7 is the best way to approach your debts, it is wise to fill out forms with an attorney to ensure that it is filled out accurately.
- Trustee Review: After you file for bankruptcy, a Bankruptcy Trustee will evaluate your debts and assets to determine what items you may be able to keep, and what items you will need to liquidate.
Requirements for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
Although many can apply for chapter 7 bankruptcy, there are requirements that need to be met. Ultimately it comes down to the Means Test, the means test determines whether your income is not enough to payback the debts. The means test will look at your financials, debts, and other expenses to determine if you pass or not. If you pass you may be eligible to continue with the chapter 7 bankruptcy, if you fail you may need consider other methods such as 13 chapter bankruptcy.
Contact our Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Attorney Today
Going through Chapter 7 may be the fastest bankruptcy process but it is important that you are guided carefully and understand each step of the way. Our Chapter 7 bankruptcy attorneys in Palm Desert can help you through this process and get you back on track towards financial stability.
Able to Handle Complex Cases
Certified Bankruptcy Specialist
Free Initial Consultations
Services Available in English & Spanish
Highly Qualified & Experienced in Bankruptcy
Work with a Caring & Compassionate Attorney
Work with our CERTIFIED BANKRUPTCY SPECIALIST who is highly experienced and understands the different bankruptcy and debt settlement options. We'll find the best solution for you and your family.